Support organisation Business Link has launched a dedicated page on its website with ideas on what businesses can do to mitigate any disruptions to their operations.
It contains practical advice on contingency planning, available by visiting www.businesslink.gov.uk/postalstrike for practical tips and links to other sources of useful information.
The strike, which began yesterday (Thursday), continues today. Further strikes have been announced by the Communications Workers Union from October 29.
Business Link advises that, if you do need to use the Royal Mail during the strike, you consider:
- Contacting your customers to let them know that their goods may be delayed;
- Taking outgoing mail to a Post Office as it is more likely to be collected there than from a post box;
- Sending post by Special Delivery or by courier –check with Post Office staff that these services are running;
- Using alternative businesses to deliver items to customers;
- Paying bills online or at banks, building societies and Post Offices as late payment may result in interest charges or penalties.